Sunday, March 2, 2014

Fibrous Find

Fibrous find

What do you think of when you think of foods to increase fiber intake? Bland grape nuts or sugar-added shredded wheat? Fiber powder that you mix in your morning coffee? Both have fiber, but I'm not so sure how many indulge on those two. Fruits and vegetables, especially those with seeds and the skins left on or "insoluble fiber", are other sources. Whole grains, which have been getting there good name out there for a while, are excellent, as well.

How do we take it to the next level? I mean, getting fiber in almost any meal, and still enjoy the flavors? Even spaghetti sauce??! DESSERTS??!!  I have come across this amazing product that is minimally processed and is high in Omega-3 fatty acids and folic acid (ladies!), both of which great for your heart, along with protein, iron, and of course, FIBER. In one serving (2 Tablespoons) based on a 2,000 calorie/d diet, it has 4% of daily iron, 3g protein, 2% calcium, and with 4g of dietary fiber, your 15% of your total amount for the day. IN TWO TABLESPOONS. I introduce to you, if you haven't had the pleasure already, milled flax seed.

I came across this about two years ago, reading up on getting more folic acid in my diet. This little treasure was such a great find, because I also needed a more regular way of life, if you know what I mean. I thought, "Gee, I could put this in so many things," and get lots of fiber and a good source of other nutrients. And so I did. Smoothies, spaghetti sauce, baked goods, pancakes, you name it! The flavor is so mild, it stays well hidden for your picky eaters. My husband had no idea until I told him. It has since been kept regular, as an ingredient I mean! ;)

The brand I frequent can be found at most local groceries, so it is not some rare find at an expensive specialty organic foods store. WildRoots (R) is a great brand to use because the only ingredient is milled flax seeds, not filled with artificial preservatives and fillers. So the only processing of the product is the milling, which is what needs to be done anyway with flax seed to get the full benefit. You are never going to spend more than $3/3.50 for a bag with 41 servings, 19.2 oz. It keeps beautifully in the refrigerator for months. Keeping refrigerated protects the Omega-3 content.

What are some of your recipe ideas or experiences with flax seed?

Lets chat about it or follow me on Twitter/Instagram/Pinterest: @Ashley_RHOK
** This blog and its contents belong to Ashley Georgakopoulos. Please do not duplicate or copy any work without permission from the author.**