Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Sweet Potato Quiche


I need more vegetables in my life, and what better way than breakfast?!  



Quiche is an easy and delicious way to get your protein-rich eggs plus any veggie you want! You can literally throw together an assortment of foods from your refrigerator, fresh or leftover, and make it your own creation. 


It's baked in the oven, and so eliminating the frying in a pan.


I'm a huge fan of sweet potatoes, and they're so darn healthy for you. I happened to have some other veggies on hand, my favorite cheese, and eggs are almost always in the refrigerator at my house. 


I used the sweet potatoes as my crust to keep from going higher in carbohydrates from using a flour-based crust. This idea was shared by some friends of mine, so I ran with it- fabulous and delicious idea. 


There are a ton of ideas similar to this on Pinterest (of course), but here's my take on it:

Ingredients

6 eggs
1-2 fresh sweet potatoes, sliced
1/4 C red onion, diced small
1/2 C fresh kale, roughly chopped
1/4 C fresh, sliced mushrooms
1/4 C sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
I used a smoke cheddar from Whole Foods
Salt/pepper to taste

Directions 

Preheat oven to 400* F. 

Wash, peel and slice sweet potato. Enough will be needed to cover the bottom of pie pan, and to use around side as a crust. Line the pie pan that has been lightly greased, using low fat spray or canola oil, with the sliced potatoes. (See pics above if you need an example)
Place in oven for 15 minutes, or until potato is fork-tender.

Meanwhile: Wash, dry, and prepare mushrooms, onion, and kale. 

In a med bowl, whisk together eggs until bubbly and combined.

Once potatoes are done for the crust, remove from oven and lower heat to 375*.

Add veggies to pie, salt/pepper, then pour egg mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake for 35-40 min, allowing eggs to cook through and cheese to lightly brown.

Enjoy!

-Ashley




No comments:

Post a Comment

** This blog and its contents belong to Ashley Georgakopoulos. Please do not duplicate or copy any work without permission from the author.**