Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Gluten-Free Stuffed Mushrooms

I love making stuffed mushrooms (and eating them)! They're super easy to throw together and make a great side dish or an hors d'oeuvre at a party. Filled with cream cheese, garlic, Parmesan, and usually breadcrumbs, these buttery delights are sure to be a hit!

Side note: for Lent I gave up bread/pasta for 40 days. This meant I had to use something other than bread crumbs for my stuffing. Gathering my other ingredients as I pondered my predicament, I happened to glance at my handy-dandy, ever-versatile bag of my ground flaxseed. EUREKA.

This ingenious ingredient has now forever changed how I'll make stuffed mushrooms from now on. They're also gluten-free! These turned out so much better than before! And so, I present my new and improved stuffed mushroom recipe. (Husband-approved)

Ingredients

10-12 Baby Bella mushrooms, washed and dried

3 T Low Fat Cream Cheese, softened at room temp.
2 T Ground Flaxseed 
2 t Parmesan Cheese
1/4 t Parsley
1 t Garlic Powder
2 T Butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400°
After your mushrooms are washed and dried, simply pull out the stem so you have a nice bowl. The stems usually come right out without too much effort. In a mixing bowl, combine your cheeses, garlic, flaxseed, and parsley. The consistency is rather thick, but once in the oven, this will soften. Using a spoon or your fingers, manifest a small ball-shape to place in the mushroom. This stays put very well, so I tend to slightly overfill the mushrooms. Arrange your mushrooms in a baking dish. Using a cooking brush, apply the melted butter over the tops and edges of the mushrooms. This step allows the mushrooms to cook tender without drying out, but also adds a richness to die for. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the peaks of the centers slightly brown.



This mixture made the best outer crust, and they melt in your mouth in the center. Tonight I paired this with tilapia and mixed vegetables.

There were not any seconds reported to be found.



Tried it and loved it? Questions?? Comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment

** This blog and its contents belong to Ashley Georgakopoulos. Please do not duplicate or copy any work without permission from the author.**