Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Earth Day 2014

 
Had the idea to have a post in honor of Earth Day! Its a great day to reflect on how we impact our world, and how we can improve. I think of recycling, better use and efficiency of electricity, and decreasing pollution. One way we can make a difference, and reap some yummy benefits, is gardening. Edible gardening. Its a big trend, and a healthy one at that.

Besides the fact that having plants increases the amount of oxygen in the air for us, provides food and shelter for good insects and wildlife, edible gardening allows us to tap into Mother Nature for healthy, nutritional, and organic sources of food. The same foods that seem to increase in price every year, not to mention containing who-knows-what.

This year, I used my flower beds and the sidewalk space for planters to have my edible garden. What's on the menu? Brussels, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and herbs accompany my beloved roses. This is a win-win situation. I cannot wait to share photos of what my garden produces!

Easy growers:
  • Herbs i.e. basil, oregano, mint, lavender
  • Roots/Bulbs i.e. garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes
  • Strawberries
  • Peppers


Happy Earth Day!!
Have pictures of your garden? Questions? Send them my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

** This blog and its contents belong to Ashley Georgakopoulos. Please do not duplicate or copy any work without permission from the author.**